Before you fill in the Submission form, please read the following Terms and Conditions.
1. There will be one Picture Hooks Fearful/Brave competition. It is open to people of any nationality aged 18 and over, except employees of Picture Hooks, any agent or sponsor associated with these competitions, and members of their immediate families. You may only enter one pair of images to the competition. Picture Hooks reserves the right to require proof of identity and age and any other evidence required to prove that the terms of the relevant competition have been fulfilled before awarding any prize. Any failure to supply such proof and evidence as requested will disqualify the winner and an alternative winner will be selected. No purchase is necessary and no entry fee is required to enter these competitions.
2. Entries must consist of two wholly original illustrations in their final form which contain no material taken from a third source. The illustrations must not have been published in any other form (other than non-commercially on either your own website or your own social media platform) and must not have been submitted to any competition (other than a Picture Hooks Fearful/Brave competition) or to any third party for publication previously. The original illustrations may be any size and medium; however, the entry for the competition must be submitted as two digital files which are capable of being uploaded. The illustrations must not be portrait. You must provide two low-resolution digital files each with the following specifications: File format: jpg | resolution: 72 dpi | colour mode: RGB | max file size: 3 MB.
3. By entering the Picture Hooks Fearful/Brave competition each entrant is considered to have executed the Licence displayed at the end of these Terms and Conditions. Please note that the Licence grants certain rights to exhibit the entrant’s illustrations online and in a physical space and allows for the option to further use the illustrations with the entrant’s consent, but on completion of the final confirmation and awarding of the prizes for the relevant competition, the Licence shall be deemed null and void in respect of every entrant to that competition other than the finally confirmed winner and two awarded runners up (meaning that after the winner and two awarded runners up are confirmed, the Licence only applies to the three prize-winning pairs of illustrations for each competition). On request the winners and awarded runners up of the competition will execute such additional paperwork as Picture Hooks requires in order to confirm and give effect to the terms of the Licence. Execution shall be by written or electronic signature in accordance with the Promoter’s instructions.
4. The competition will be judged by a committee appointed by Picture Hooks (which will include at least one independent member). The decision of Picture Hooks and the judging committee shall be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. The winner will receive £500 within 30 days of confirmation of the winner by Picture Hooks and any necessary proof being established by Picture Hooks and any additional paperwork being completed where this is considered necessary by Picture Hooks (see items 1 and 3 above). No alternative will be offered to the prize.
6. Both awarded runners up will each receive £250 within 30 days of confirmation of the awarded runners up by Picture Hooks and any necessary proof being established by Picture Hooks and any additional paperwork being completed where this is considered necessary by Picture Hooks (see items 1 and 3 above). No alternative will be offered to the prizes.
7. Completed entries for the competition must be received during the relevant period specified under “Submission and Decision Dates” on the Picture Hooks website. Each entrant can submit only one entry (comprising one pair of illustrations) per competition and entries must not be submitted through agents or third parties. Picture Hooks cannot be held liable for system failures relating to the delivery systems for the competition, including the website and any other electronic delivery method.
8. The winner and awarded runners up of each competition will be notified by email by the deadline specified under “Submission and Decision Dates” on Picture Hooks’ website. If contact cannot be made by that date or a prize is declined within two weeks of the notification being made, the prize will be forfeited. In this instance, the entrant who supplied the next best illustrations will be contacted.
9. Picture Hooks reserves the right to display the name of each winner and awarded runner up in promotional material for the Picture Hooks Fearful/Brave competition and on the Picture Hooks website and along with the illustrations themselves. Each entrant gives consent to such use of their name.
10. No responsibility will be taken for entries that are damaged, corrupted, incomplete, lost, delayed in transmission or otherwise fail to reach Picture Hooks by the relevant closing date. Entries will not be returned to entrants. Entries that are incomplete, damaged, corrupted or fraudulent will be invalid.
11. It is a condition of entry that all entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions (including the Licence below). Entrants are asked to retain a copy for future reference. Entry into the Picture Hooks Fearful/Brave competition constitutes acceptance of these Terms and Conditions and the Licence.
12. Picture Hooks may assign or otherwise transfer its rights and obligations under these Terms and Conditions in whole or in part at its discretion. These Terms and Conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and are subject to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
‘Picture Hooks’ means Picture Hooks, 33 Inverleith Terrace, Edinburgh, EH3 5NU, including its successors and assigns.
By entering any Picture Hooks Fearful/Brave Competition and submitting your entry you have executed this Licence.
‘the Entrant’ means the entrant to the Fearful/Brave Competition
‘the Promoter’ means Picture Hooks
‘the Illustrations’ means the Entrant’s entry to the relevant Fearful/Brave Competition
1. For full and valuable consideration, receipt of which the Entrant hereby acknowledges, the Entrant hereby grants to the Promoter the sole and exclusive right and licence throughout the world for a period of five years from the closing date of confirmation that the Entrant is the winner or awarded runner up of the relevant competition (a) to exhibit the Illustrations on the Picture Hooks website, (b) to exhibit the Illustrations in an online exhibition, (c) to print one copy of the Illustrations to frame and exhibit in a physical space and (d) to produce, print, distribute, sell and license postcards of the Illustrations but only with the Entrant’s prior consent and always on terms to be agreed in advance with the Entrant. The printed copy of the Illustrations themselves shall belong to Picture Hooks but the copyright in the Illustrations shall remain the copyright of the Entrant. Picture Hooks reserves the right not to exploit the rights granted under (b), (c) or (d) above.
2. The Promoter will not add to, adapt or otherwise alter the Illustrations (other than resizing) without the Entrant’s approval.
3. The Promoter will credit the Entrant as the illustrator of the Illustrations and include a copyright notice in the name of the Entrant wherever the Illustrations are displayed by the Promoter and the Promoter will require the same in respect of any further display or use of the Illustrations by a third party.
4. The Entrant warrants and guarantees to the Promoter that the Entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of all rights in the Illustrations and has the right to submit the Illustrations and has full power to enter into this Licence and that by doing so the Entrant is not in violation of any duty of confidentiality. The Entrant warrants and guarantees to the Promoter that the Illustrations are not subject to any other contract, agreement or commission with any gallery, studio, publisher, institution, company or person that restricts the Entrant’s ability to comply with this Licence or the Terms and Conditions of the Picture Hooks Quiet/Loud competition and that the Illustrations are original to the Entrant and do not infringe any copyright, trademark, moral right, or any other right of any person or entity and do not include anything defamatory or otherwise unlawful. The Entrant will indemnify and keep indemnified the Promoter and its assignees and licensees against all actions, suits, proceedings, claims, demands, losses and costs (including any legal costs or expenses properly incurred and any compensation costs and disbursements paid by the Promoter on the advice of the Promoter’s legal advisers to compromise or settle any claim), occasioned to the Promoter and its assignees and licensees in consequence of any breach or alleged breach of the Entrant’s warranties.
5. The Promoter may assign or otherwise transfer its rights and obligations under this Assignment in whole or in part at its discretion.
6. This Licence shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and is subject to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
Once you have completed the Submission form, please press the Submit button. If you do not complete this final step your submission will not be accepted.