The journey between the sowing of a seed and a dish of food being placed on a table has many stages. We invite you to create an illustration that celebrates just one moment along that journey, with the emphasis on celebration.
Choose any moment to illustrate in colour – we hope these examples from our own illustrators will inspire you!
We cannot wait to see what you come up with and we hope the collection of winning illustrations will be a legacy for children to enjoy in years to come.
The competition is to find illustrations to establish this collection. There will be four From Seed to Table competitions during July and August.
Each competition will have one winner. Each winner will receive £1,000. Each winner’s illustration will be on display online in the first instance, but hopefully in a physical exhibition space one day.
From Seed to Table competitions are open to all people of any nationality aged 18 and over, except employees of Picture Hooks or any agent or sponsor associated with the competition and members of their immediate families. Entries are limited to one entry per person in each competition – but you can apply again in any of the following competitions.
There is no fee to enter!
Please note, by submitting an entry you are confirming that your entry is your own, original work of which you are the copyright owner, and that you agree to the Terms and Conditions as set out on the Submission Form, including the granting of certain rights to exhibit your entry online and in a physical space and allowing for the option to further use your entry with your prior consent. Please read all Terms and Conditions and ensure you understand them before entering this competition.
1. Your entry must be submitted in its final form and must be a wholly original illustration created by you which contains no material taken from a third-party source. The illustration must not have been published in any form (other than non-commercially on either your own website or your own social media platform) and must not have been submitted to any competition other than a From Seed to Table competition or to any third party for publication previously.
2. Your original illustration may be any size and medium; however, your final entry for the competition must be submitted as two separate digital files of your illustration (see How to Submit below).
3. Your illustration must be landscape.
Entries that do not meet the above Illustration Requirements may be disqualified.
2. Ensure your entry meets the Illustration Requirements above.
3. Submit the Submission Form.
4. Your two digital submission files should be:
High-resolution digital file: Specifications – file format: jpg | resolution: 300 dpi | colour mode: RGB | max file size: 400 MB
Low-resolution digital file: Specifications – file format: jpg | resolution: 72 dpi | colour mode: RGB | max file size: 3 MB
5. Label your digital illustration files with its title and your name – for example, “Mary Smith-Picnic in the Park-1” and “Mary Smith-Picnic in the Park-2” and send your files via wetransfer.com to email@example.com (or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. If you are unable to scan your illustration or send via WeTransfer, then you may take a photograph of your illustration using a digital camera or a smartphone, ensuring the Illustration Requirements above are still met and that your photograph is clear and in focus. You should send your photograph to email@example.com. If you submit your entry using this method, please keep your original illustration safe and in good condition until at least two weeks after the closing date of the last From Seed to Table competition.
There will be four separate From Seed to Table competitions:
Submissions will open at 1am UK time on Wednesday 1 July 2020 and close at 12pm UK time on Wednesday 15 July 2020. The successful submission will receive an email by 11.59pm UK time on Saturday 18 July 2020.
Submissions will open at 1am UK time on Monday 20 July 2020 and close at 12pm UK time on Wednesday 29 July 2020. The successful submission will receive an email by 11.59pm UK time on Saturday 1 August 2020.
Submissions will open at 1am UK time on Monday 3 August 2020 and close at 12pm UK time Wednesday 12 August 2020. The successful submission will receive an email by 11.59pm UK time on Saturday 15 August 2020.
Submissions will open at 1am UK time on Monday 17 August 2020 and close at 12pm UK time on Wednesday 26 August 2020. The successful submission will receive an email by 11.59pm UK time on Saturday 29 August 2020.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions section below for further details on submitting your illustration.
Good luck and thank you for reading!
Can you suggest some of the stages you are talking about in the journey from Seed to Table?
Preparing the Soil, Planting Seeds, Seeds Sprouting, Watering and Weeding, Plants Growing, Flowers Pollinating, Fruit Ripening, Harvesting, Preparing, and Cooking and Eating.
May I submit physical samples?
No. Entries are to be submitted online only.
How many digital files must I submit?
We require you to submit two digital files of your illustration – one high-resolution jpg and one low-resolution jpg.
Can my illustration be any size?
Yes, but it must be landscape. And when you submit it, you must provide two digital files: one high-resolution digital file (Specifications – file format: jpg | resolution: 300 dpi | colour mode: RGB | max file size: 400 MB) and one low-resolution digital file (Specifications – file format: jpg | resolution: 72 dpi | colour mode: RGB | max file size: 3 MB).
What colour format should the files be in?
The digital file should be in RGB format and saved as a .jpg. If you are successful and if we wish to display your work in print, Picture Hooks will contact you to discuss the specific file formats we need.
What if I don’t have a scanner?
If you are unable to scan your illustration, then you can take a photograph of your illustration using a digital camera or a smartphone, ensuring the Illustration Requirements above are still met and that your photograph is clear and in focus. If you are a winner, we will be in touch with you about how to scan your work.
How do I compress my files?
If using Photoshop you can use ‘Save for web and devices’ to compress your artwork as a jpg file. Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat also allow for compression and optimising of artwork when creating jpg files.
How do I know my Submission Form has been sent?
Your application is complete when you see the following message:
When will I know if my submission is successful?
Successful submissions will receive an email from us to congratulate them on their win. If you don’t hear from us by the notification date, then we’re afraid you have been unsuccessful. We cannot email unsuccessful participants but we do however look at every entry we receive. We will publish the results on our website, Twitter and on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
Will you keep my entry on file if I don’t win?
Can I send the same illustration to different competitions?
If I win the competition, will I have to pay to print and frame my winning illustration?
No, Picture Hooks will be paying and organising that.
For more help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org